Sunday, November 4, 2012

I'm with B.O.

Posted By: Ashley

In 2008, I voted for hope and change. In 2012, I vote to guard that change.

Here are a few reasons why I will cast my vote for President Barack Obama this Tuesday:


  • The Affordable Care Act may be one of the most influential pieces of legislation to pass in our lifetime. In my profession, I have seen firsthand how the ACA is changing lives. There are no more lifetime limits, people won’t be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions, women have greater access to care, there is a stronger emphasis on prevention and wellness rather than sick care, children can stay on their parents insurance until the age of 26...I can go on and on. It is an extraordinary piece of legislation. Does it cost a lot of money? Sure, for now. But in the long run it will save much much more. Even more important - it will save lives.

  • As an advocate for people with disabilities I have appreciated how much the Obama Administration cares. I’ve interacted with his disability advisors who work hard and take time to listen to constituent concerns. Under Obama, the United States is close to ratifying the international treaty - the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities.

  • Obama implemented student loan reform and doubled the Pell grant. President Obama understands that college is not always accessible to students who want to further their education...but it should be. He also supports the DREAM Act.

  • I’m terrified about what’s happening with the nation’s budget. We CANNOT continue to cut critical safety-net programs in an attempt to balance the budget on the backs of the low-income. We need to increase revenues. In a big way. I believe that Obama’s plan is stronger than Romney’s who intends to cut his way out of a hole....impossible.

Is Obama perfect on immigration? no. Is he perfect on every aspect of foreign policy? no. He certainly hasn’t been able to accomplish everything he set out to do in his first term. But we must remember that the United States government is designed exactly so that the President does not hold all the power...checks and balances...remember 11th grade U.S. history? It’s not meant to be an efficient and speedy process. And Obama cannot accomplish much without his partners in Congress. Yet despite the constant pushback from the House - look at all he’s done so far. Imagine what more he can do with our help.

I’ll close my political rant by emphasizing the importance of your local elections. It absolutely matters who is elected to your local school board and city council, mayor, Governor, state legislators, congressional representatives, etc.. You can’t expect Obama to come fix the potholes in your streets or clean up your schools and neighborhoods...but you SHOULD expect that from your local legislators and hold them accountable.
I cannot emphasize enough how important this election is. vote vote VOTE. Our future depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment