Sunday, May 6, 2012

Enough!

Posted By: Ashley


I believe in the inherent goodness of people. And often times that gets me in trouble. I'm too trusting - at love; friendship; business; everything. I do know that I need to have thicker skin and tougher standards...but I also think that we humans are doing each other a disservice...hear me out.

You see...I believe that a person can only treat you in the manner in which you let them. And they will often try to treat you the same way they treated the last woman/the other friend/the previous employee - until you put your foot down and say, "Actually, I do like when men open doors for me...I'd like for you to call me when you're running late...Please knock before you open my office door...Please don't tell offensive jokes around me, etc." I think that many people (including myself) do not always speak up at the most critical times and it's having an effect on our relationships. If  I don't tell my man how I like and want and deserve to be treated - he'll fumble around until he either gets it right or upsets me.

Here's where I think the disservice comes in - if you allow a person to disrespect and mistreat you and do not speak up - they may try to treat someone else the same way because hey, it worked the first time. It's a cycle that will continue until someone says, "enough!"

This lesson even trickles down to how we raise our children. Say my 2 year old son doesn't want to go to bed; he screams and cries and keeps running out of his room. If I allow him to stay up just because I don't feel like fighting the battle (and trust, me some nights it really is a battle) - whose fault is it when he does the same thing the next night?

I see this situation playing out in my life on a regular basis and I'm ready to say "enough!" I understand that this might make me out to be the "bad guy" to some...but I think others will appreciate my honesty. We only have one life - I deserve to be treated like the beautiful, intelligent, remarkable child of God that I am...and so do you.

Have you seen this cycle play out in your own relationships? Are you ready to say enough?

-------------------------------------
P.S...Jessica and I recently celebrated our first blogiversary! We can't believe it's been a year already! thank you x 1 million to all of our readers for joining us on this journey!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. People should be upfront about their feelings and how other people's actions affect them. Many people get defensive, and I have lost friendships of those people who are extremely defensive thinking they did nothing wrong. If that's what it takes for the person to see the light, then so be it. At least now they know. And hopefully they'll think twice about acting that way toward others.

    And happy blogiversary! I love how you guys are team bloggers :)

    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete