Monday, April 30, 2012

Starbucks Girl: My Hope in Humanity

Posted By: Jessica

It’s the end of the semester! Not only does this time of year connote end of the year parties with the tempting smell of summer so close, but it also has the stench of final exams and twenty page term papers, which I happen to currently be in Starbucks fretting over. With this popular college hang out spot extremely packed with other students in study groups and writing papers buzzing around me it was difficult to hear the phone call I had just gotten. So, I decided to step out for a second. Now, my mother taught me better than to leave my MacBook sitting out in the open, so I politely asked a girl behind me to watch my stuff. She was sitting amongst some other students working on a group project (so I overheard) and they were all pretty flustered. I guess the deadline was approaching and they were just beginning. But, despite their anxiety, I asked anyways.

“Hey, excuse me, can you please watch my things for five minutes while I step outside?”

She rolled her eyes and reluctantly said, “Yeah, that’s fine.”

So I left, stepped outside and spoke briefly to someone I’d been anticipating a phone call from. Ending the call, I noticed that I had been talking for fifteen minutes! So I rushed back in to Starbucks and lo and behold, I thought I saw the table behind mine full of on-edge girls vacant. But then as I continued to approach the table, there was the girl I asked, sitting by herself in the corner, waiting.

“Thanks so much,” I said looking at her in astonishment.

Looking at her phone she said a quaint “you’re welcome,” collected her books and walked away.

What this taught me, other than better time management, was that people are people, and people are nice. Although I don’t know how long ago her study group left, regardless, she could have left with them. Left my books, my computer, and being that its time for exams, those things pretty much equal my life right now.

It is interesting how much we can find that we may need other people, even complete strangers, whether its to confide in, love on, or just have them to watch your stuff. So, thanks, Starbucks girl, I really appreciate what you did, and the small sacrifice you made for your fellow sister (human being).

I wonder how I've helped someone lately...

How have you all seen hope in humanity during frantic times?

No comments:

Post a Comment