Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Eat, Drink and Be Merry!

Posted by: Jessica




One of my last finals was in my Old Testament Interpretation class. We needed to read about 9 books in the Hebrew Bible for the test,  including the book of Ecclesiastes. Now, I don't think I ever read Ecclesiastes on my own but while I was reading it closely preparing for my test I came to love it's theme.

Ecclesiastes is about men and women loving and appreciating the life that they are living while they're living it. Focusing not on the outcomes of their life, the motif can definitely be summed up by saying "it's not about the final destination, it's about the journey." 


As for myself, I have always been goal oriented, and running towards the finish line. And this year, I have achieved monumental goals for myself: new job, new car, new apartment, and completed my first year in my Master's program, but through it all, I have yet to stop and look at the beautiful scenery that I'm running through. But I think that it's time for me to stop running, fully appreciate the life that God has given me, yet never forget to seek the prize which a place in the Kingdom. 


"So I commended pleasure, for there is nothing good for a man under the sun except to eat and to drink and to be merry, and this will stand by him in his toils throughout the days of his life which God has given him under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 8:15 NASB



1 comment:

  1. I also had to take bible courses for college. I had an old testament class and a new testament class. I didn't read much of the bible for class (luckily I knew a lot of it anyway) but I just wasn't disciplined in college. I have actually read much more of the bible since graduating :)

    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete