Friday, May 25, 2012

Change Your Tires

Posted By: Ashley
I am so in love with my God.
So this morning, an alarm went off in my car and I noticed that one of my tires was losing air...fast! There was a gas station immediately to my right. But for some reason I didn't even think to go there. I turned left and rushed to a gas station about 1/4 mile away. I parked near the air machine and inspected the situation. There was a hole about the size of a pencil in my right front tire. I know enough about cars to know that the tire needed plugged but of course I don't carry plugging equipment with me...who does?!

I figured I'd have to use my spare, for now. I called one of my buddies who lives nearby to see if he could come to my rescue. He didn't answer. I called my Dad to see if he could talk me through changing a tire. He didn't answer. At that point I started to get nervous. I've watched a tire get changed a million times but I've never had to do it myself. I opened the trunk and began to get out the spare when out of nowhere, a man approached me with tools in his hand. He said, "Ma'am do you have a hole in your tire? I can plug it for you."

Let me pause here. The amazing thing about this is...he didn't ask what was wrong...he didn't ask what tire it was...he asked if he could help and before I even said yes, he was on his knees and looking at my tire. He already knew what was wrong. He pulled out his tools and plugged the hole in less than 3 minutes. He then put air in my tire and said, "This should last you awhile but it looks like you need new tires anyways."

I thanked him and told him he saved me a huge headache...I had never changed a tire before and didn't know what to do. He said, "No problem, have a good weekend!" He grinned and walked away...didn't ask for a dime...didn't flirt with me...just walked away.

I got into my car but then got back out and turned to look for him...I wanted to see where this mystery man came from. He was gone...

Thinking about this experience has given me several revelations...
1) Angels do exist. Whenever you least expect it, God will place the very right person in your life at the very right time.
2) He won't let you fall. One of my coworkers said it's like being on a cliff....God may wait until you're hanging by a thread and then scoop you up...so He gets all the glory. But actually, I think that it's not when you're hanging by a thread when He rescues you - it's when you let go...not letting go to give up but letting go to TRUST that God will help you.
3) When you walk with God, you're already on the right path. "Something" told me to go to the gas station on the left even though it was farther away...I didn't even think about the gas station that was right in front of me. Trust your instincts...it may be God speaking.
4) You can only plug the holes for so long....eventually you'll need to replace the tire. Tires are an important part of your car...they keep it rolling, they sit between you and the ground, they have traction to keep you from slipping and sliding on dangerous roads. Like in life...sometimes you have to get rid of the old so that you can have the better, safer, stronger new.

Is it time for you to get new tires?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Ashley! I find it helpful sometimes to just be still and let God work...He knows what He's doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is always there, even when we think He's not! He's our guardian angel, and will always be. The Holy Spirit is awesome!

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete