Sunday, September 1, 2013

Pantry Black Bean Salad

Hey Journeyers!

My hubby and I decided at the last minute to have a Labor Day cookout! So I'm doing some prepwork tonight before a few friends arrive tomorrow.

Normally, I'm the type of person who needs to thoroughly plan everything before hosting a get-together (perfectionist). But luckily, we already have everything we need on hand for an impromptu dinner. I wanted to share my Pantry Black Bean salad recipe with you in case you too are ever in a bind for a quick and HEALTHY meal. I call it the Pantry salad because on any given day you can usually find these ingredients in my pantry and fridge :)


One can black beans, one can sweet corn, half an onion, half a red pepper and one can of diced tomatoes with green chilies. Seriously. That's all you need. Sidenote: If I had more time to run to the store I would have used a red onion instead of yellow and fresh corn straight from the cob. You could also add an avocado, fresh garlic and cilantro. Use what you have!

I chopped the pepper and onion, drained the beans, corn and tomatoes and mixed it all up. Voila. I'll wrap it up tight and put it in the fridge over night so all the flavors can commingle in their delicious glory. I'll probably serve with lightly fried corn tortillas.


While I was making this quick side dish, I also had time to brew some sweet tea.

I put 10 tea bags in about 8 cups of water; brought the water to a boil; turned off the stove and let the tea bags steep for a few minutes. I'll let the tea cool and stir in a cup of sugar before putting it in the fridge for tomorrow. yum!

We're also planning to have grilled chicken and beef kabobs. Who's bringing the fruit salad? :)

In love and HEALTH,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment