Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Style Searching


One of my favorite days has become Brideday Friday on TLC. I love their new show “Randy to the Rescue” where Randy Fenoli visits different cities across the country and makes over brides from “head to hem.” But of course my absolute favorite is a classic, “Say Yes to the Dress.” I don’t know why I love that show so much, but I can sit and watch it for hours. And that’s exactly what I did last Friday.



Before the consultants can ask the ultimate question of “ARE YOU SAYING YES TO THIS DRESS?” they first have to start by asking a question with a bit less extravagance: “how would you describe your style?” Brides usually answer with exciting adjectives. SEXY; FIERCE; BOLD; BOHO-CHIC; SHOW-STOPPER. But last Friday, they did an episode where the brides being featured only had blank stares to answer that question. And of course, that got me thinking… how would I answer that question? What’s my style? If I ever were blessed with the opportunity to become a bride, what would I want my dress to look like?

I honestly have gone through a few phases in my life, trying to capture a distinct style for myself. For a while I wanted to be a cowgirl, a prep, and yes, I went through the “boughetto” phase (I even had the BabyPhat shoes!). So I prayed on this, and meditated on this question. And you know what I think was revealed to me? I’M ME! I think it took me 21 years to come to that simple conclusion. I’m not a fashionista, and don’t have the desire (or bank account) to be. I don’t think I can ever be known as bold, or fierce, or even sexy, and that’s perfectly okay. I’m a classy girl from the suburbs with modest values. I like neutrals and I only wear pearl earrings but that’s my style and it makes me feel happy and comfortable.

Do you have a style?

No comments:

Post a Comment